Monday, November 2, 2009

St. Joseph's Hospital

When Uncle Steve and Oma 
took us to St. Joseph’s to see Dad 
they didn’t wear seatbelts. “Don’t you
know if we crashed you guys would die,” I said 
and my sister told me to shut up.   

Somehow it had snowed in the parking garage 
and when my sister got out of the car she slipped 
and hit her head. Oma picked her up and
took her into the lobby. Uncle Steve lit up a cigarette 
and I asked him how old he was when 
he started and he said 12.   

There was a pretty hot nurse on the elevator 
to the ward where dad was and after she got off
Uncle Steve said I was checking her out and that 
made my sister laugh so I punched her  in the arm and then
Uncle Steve told me to not feel bad  because he was checking 
her out too and then Oma grabbed my sister and me and  started to 
teach us how to pray us the Rosary.   

Oma was mixing up the Glory-Bes with the Hail Marys
but I didn’t say a word because everything on the ward 
was real quiet and I was scared that If I spoke too loud the
patients would wake up and get heart-attacks. A man with 
yellow legs and green skin rolled by on a wheelchair and I 
plugged my nose. Oma slapped my hand away and said: 
“Germans only pick flowers.”   

Mom was standing outside dad’s room with her 
thumb in a copy of the Women’s Devotional Bible. 
We ran up to her because we hadn’t seen her for a few days 
and asked if we could see dad but my mom said we couldn’t 
because he was sleeping. She gave Uncle Steve ten bucks and 
told him to take us to the cafeteria to get sodas. 
We started walking and Uncle Steve started telling us 
the story about how he once tricked mom into eating 
an Oreo filled with toothpaste.  I had heard it before so 
I turned my head around because I wanted to see if I could 
catch a glimpse of Dad but Mom and Oma had already went
inside and the shades were drawn and all I could see were 
shadows and the T.V flickering.   

“There’s your girlfriend,” said Uncle Steve as he pointed to 
the nurse who had been on the elevator before and I leaned forward 
to give him a good fist to the nads but he picked me up and carried 
me on his shoulders as my sister jumped at my legs and stuck her 
tongue out all the way to the cafeteria.     

1 comment:

  1. Oma was mixing up the Glory-Bes with the Hail Marys
    but I didn’t say a word because everything on the ward
    was real quiet and I was scared that If I spoke too loud the
    patients would wake up and get heart-attacks. A man with
    yellow legs and green skin rolled by on a wheelchair and I
    plugged my nose. Oma slapped my hand away and said:
    “Germans only pick flowers."

    Yes. You should do more of these.

    ReplyDelete