Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Culture

I bought fraud leather at a dusty secondhand store in Abilene
to wear gallantly to Sunday night rodeo
where I expected to be met with some form of Southern hospitality
and maybe something distinctly American
to photograph.

Dad told me all about it, an author of US history. 
He said: "Brace of a smattering of Culture"

My hands on the wheel of a Time Machine; a volvo
I barely noticed San Antonio’s florescent jungle disintegrate behind me
into a bright period on the horizon
If nothing else to serve as a testament 
to the safety of 2009

With nothing more than twenty-eight miles
I clapped as the radio yielded 
to the distant crackling of a strange chair
and the bruised country emerged
with visions of strange men on horses

1 comment:

  1. florescent jungle disintegrate behind me
    into a bright period on the horizon

    i like this
    and the whole thing lots

    ReplyDelete